Based in Austin, Texas
April 4, 2014
PC / Mac
Picture Man vs. Food meets Indie Game: The Movie. Indie Van Game Jam is a documentary web series about the studios, games and personalities of developers who have turned away from corporate publishing, and struck out on their own to create games they love. Each episode is a travelogue where Diego Almazan, Chad Stewart, and Zeb West from Binary Solo choose an indie developer and set off in their Indie Van to pose a question to them about game development. Now for the twist: along the way they attempt to answer the question themselves through a 'game jam', creating a video game in the van that answers that question. When they arrive at the indie studio, they show the tragic or triumphant results of the van-made game. Along with the episode, the results of the game jam are made available online. The all-star line-up of indie developers includes Austin’s Stoic Games, Chicago's Rob Lach, Vancouver's KLEI Entertainment, and many more.
After a failed kickstarter under their belt, Binary Solo continued to develop the series on their own. Having received enough from fans to purchase a van and begin the journey, they hit the road. The series wrapped filming in February of 2014 and is now in post-production. The first episode hit the web April 4, 2014. The second episode was released July 11, 2014.
- 7 Cities. 7 Developers. 7 Games.
- Special features and developer commentary on the episodes and games.
- The first episode is completely 100% free, including the game!
Show Intro YouTube
Steam Greenlight Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
- "The game is really just a prototype, having been made during a car trip (you can watch Binary’s entire process in a short doc they’ve posted, it is absolutely worth a look), but the game that’s there so far is still a cool reversal on the dynamics of the shooter genre."
- Winston, pivotstates.com
- "I really like the fact that these guys decided to just go for it, even though their Kickstarter failed. I'm sure that's not possible for everyone, but it's cool."
- Patrick Klepek, giantbomb.com
- "It’s definitely a novel idea, and it’s great that Binary Solo is creating a type of a webseries specifically for indie game makers."
- Luke Siuty, Indie Game Mag
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Alternatively, you can always request a press copy by sending us a quick email.
Episode Première Press Release
Check out our first episode premièring April 4th! binarysolo.com.
About Binary Solo
We make games so you don't have to.
More information on Binary Solo, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Indie Van Game Jam Credits
Design, Audio, Host